1. Sugar often leads to mood swings, fatigue, headaches and cravings for more sugar. Cravings set the stage for a cycle of addiction!
2. Sugar suppresses immune responses, and increases infections and illness
3. Sugar accelerates aging.
4. Sugar causes tooth decay. With all the other life-threatening effects of sugar, we sometimes forget the most basic damage it does. When it sits on your teeth, it creates decay more efficiently than any other food substance.
5. Sugar increases stress.
6. Sugar takes the place of important nutrients.
7. Sugar is 8 times more addictive than cocaine.
Now that you know the negative impacts refined sugar can have on your body and mind, be more careful about the foods you choose. And the first step is getting educated about where sugar lurks—believe it or not, a food needn’t even taste all that sweet for it to be loaded with sugar. When it comes to convenience and packaged foods, let the ingredients label be your guide, and be aware that just because something boasts that it is low in carbs or a “diet” food, doesn’t mean it’s free of sugar.